IN PRAISE OF WINTER RIDING.
The long, hard, cold months of winter training are over. The concern whether I had enough clean base layers, arm and leg warmers, booties and all the other stuff up there in that photo…done for a while.
The warm weather is here.
So as I look back on those months of opening the front door of my house at 6am in my kit and having a blast of frigid, morning air hit me like a bucket of icy water, I ask myself why I did it.
There’s a brilliant Nike ad from years ago that pictured a runner slogging through waist-deep snow and the headline read: Somewhere there’s a nice, warm place where all the second-place guys train.
That used to be my mindset back then.
but now it’s different.
Now, the advantage I have by getting out there in the cold is not that I got more fitness, but that I got more riding. More time out on the trail and road.
It’s not me versus them.
It’s not me versus anything.
It’s me giving to me.
Kinda makes me miss those cold months.
- the-distillery likes this
- bikesnwhiskey reblogged this from 18milesperhour
- bigvix likes this
- cubedweller likes this
- windingify reblogged this from 18milesperhour
- halfluck likes this
- astronautchase likes this
- aridderb likes this
- iaintcolemaness likes this
- radicalsmut likes this
- johnpaulfloyd likes this
- axoplasm reblogged this from 18milesperhour and added:
- jennlevo reblogged this from 18milesperhour
- thiscameraisacannon reblogged this from 18milesperhour and added:
- freshrosemary likes this
- smallself likes this
- 28teeth likes this
- cocoageek likes this
- vinovidivici-wasabi likes this
- robotmuesli likes this
- 18milesperhour posted this